Thursday, January 31, 2013

Robotics


I adore technology.  I've kept an online journal since the dramatic age of 14.  I love Wikipedia something fierce and can lose myself for hours reading articles on The Believer, Mother Jones, and the New Yorker (the literary love of my life).


I guess you can say that I love the humanities aspects that technology affords me.  Give me armloads of iPads but don't make me touch a computer chip with a ten foot pole.  I don't understand the proverbial bones of computers, you see.  I'm cozy with words but not with code.



....Well.  One of the rules here in class is "Nothing is impossible".  We have to establish that rule early on.  On the first day of school, the kids are tasked with problems that demand trial and error, collaboration, and a healthy appreciation hard work.  Work smarter, not harder.  This is my favorite mantra that I mutter to myself when I catch myself slipping.  And I think that it applies in our classroom, too.  Because the demands are so high, we are forced to think creatively, differently, try new routes, grit our teeth and start over.


So if I expect that from second graders, I should be able to embrace this "Nothing is impossible" philosophy for myself.


Yesterday was the start of our inaugural Robotics Unit.  Mr. Smith and Mr. O are superheroes, in my esteemed opinion.  They have developed such an exciting program for the kids.  Lego building combined with computer programming.  It is addictive.


Even I, computer chip coward, feel addicted.  It's hard work to build these lego creations.  Complex recipes must be followed.  Once built, teams are tasked with developing the appropriate code upon their laptops.  This code enables their machines to function.


The squeals of glee yesterday were loud and victorious.  These kids are incredible.  I truly doubt that I'd be able to develop a functioning Lego machine.  But these kids are fearless.  And they are so hands on.  I was so proud of them yesterday, diving right into very complex and high concept stuff.




Gabriel and Sophia begin to assemble their first 'machine' - two spinning birds.





Following directions is first, followed by programming, followed by experimenting on how to switch an aspect of the machine.





James and Grace prove to be a super strong team due to their collaboration and communication.





Andrew manipulates the machine while Julia works on the programming.  So exciting!




Thanks again to Mr. Smith and Mr. O for being our trusty advisers.

No comments: